Friday, March 15, 2013

NARS essentials

Up until the start of college, makeup was a foreign concept to me. I used foundation in high school, and that was about it. I attempted on a couple of occasions to create a smokey eye, wear mascara, etc., but they never ended the way I imagined. I remember my mom bringing home those gift-with-purchase makeup sets after a trip to Macy's. I would look at the 18-color eyeshadow palette and 4-color blush palette, and get immediately frazzled. Too many choices!, I would tell myself. So for a long time, I stayed away.

Now, I love makeup! It is so much fun playing with different shades and colors, and the difference when I look at myself in pictures is immediate. A few weeks back, I was talking to one of my friends in my dorm while I was putting on makeup. After I put on the works and turned around to face him to continue the conversation, he was completely surprised at the change from a few mere minutes ago. Makeup is a great way to enhance your natural beauty.

My favorite makeup line by far right now is NARS. I can quite honestly say that I am obsessed. They are known for their blush, in particular their 'Orgasm' (they come up with some 'interesting' names for their products, I know) shade, which by the way, I highly recommend. It looks good on all skin types and gives you the picture-perfect winded look. With that being said, here are my NARS essentials.

1. Velvet Matte Lipstick Pencil in 'Sex Machine': (Please don't get weirded out by these names!) This is the ultimate neutral lip color. It is a soft-pink colored lipstick pencil. The best thing about this product is that it is basically a lipstick and lipliner all in one. I believe that I wear Sex Machine the most often- it goes with every outfit. I bought my first one back in the beginning of January and I'm going to need a replacement really soon. And if you wanted to create a bolder lip, you can always add some lipgloss on top of it. You can find it here
2. Semi Matte Lipstick in 'Heat Wave': I love a red lip. In my opinion, any girl can rock a red lip. You just have to pick the right tone/shade, so I suggest going to your nearest Sephora, Nordstrom, etc. to get matched up with one. Heat Wave is a vibrant orange-red shade that really brings out the warmth in your complexion. It also screams fun and girly if you're weary that a deep red lip comes off as too mature and serious. I would recommend applying lipstick after lining your lips fully with lipliner. In that way, the color doesn't rub off. But, orange-based red lipstick tends to make your teeth look yellower in photos. If that's an issue, I suggest a blue-based red lipstick. You can find Heat Wave here
3. Lipliner Pencil in 'Marnie': Marnie is a gorgeous burgundy that when put on, makes me feel fancy. It looks best worn with navy, wine, plum, and other cooler tones. Lipliner in general is great for creating lip definition. A lot of people use it as a base coat for lipstick or gloss, but I think it still looks good on its own. I like a matte finish for some of my looks, so just using a lipliner gives me the effect I need (as long as you moisturize your lips before application!). You also save money :). You can find it here.  
4. Lipgloss in 'Como': I was never a big fan of lipgloss because it felt so sticky and gross. But this lipgloss in Como has converted me. This shimmery dark pink, when applied lightly (just a dab) on top of the Marnie Lipliner, adds a layer of glam. It's also very moisturizing and stays on for a few hours before I need to reapply. You can also wear the gloss by itself, but expect to constantly reapply as I find that the color comes off more frequently than when my lips are lined. You can find it here


5. Blush in 'Orgasm': This is the only blush you will ever need. The end. (p.s. you can find it here.)
6. Illuminator in 'Orgasm': Now, I thought that I didn't need this when bought my first batch of NARS products, but this illuminator really does make a surprising difference. It creates a healthy, almost radiant glow. I usually just apply it to the top of my cheekbones prior to putting on blush. This makes putting on blush so much easier. You only need a light dust of blush over the illuminator to set your color. You can also rub a light layer all over your face. You can find it here.
7. Bronzing Powder in 'Laguna': Bronzer helps create a sun-kissed look. All you need to do is apply this powder on areas that hit the sun- bridge of your nose, forehead, top of your cheeks. To contour your cheekbones (a.k.a. create definition), make a fish face and sweep the powder along the hollows of your cheeks. You can find it here.   
8. 'Larger Than Life' Long-Wear Eyeliner: This is the best eyeliner I've ever had. It goes on extremely smoothly and stays on all day. It even has a built-in sharpener. You can find it here.
9. Travel Brush Set: This is an adorable travel-sized brush set. These are well-made brushes and don't require a lot of powder to create the same effects as some other brushes. You can find it here.


If I had to pick my top three items from this list, it would be the eyeliner, blush, and velvet matte lipstick pencil.

Thanks for reading!


<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/4938855/?claim=epxgby2ehak">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>



No comments:

Post a Comment